The birth of a knife: A practical introduction to tool making with Tslil and Inesse Censor
Time & Location
About the Event
An entry level workshop requiring no prior experience. Participants will have the opportunity to experience the process of forging a sloyd knife blade, while obtaining very valuable theoretical knowledge regarding the materials science behind the arts. During the workshop, we'll alternate between discussions, hands-on demonstrations and supervised practice at the forge. Any tools made by the participants are theirs to keep and use.
- Discussion: The nature of tool making, and a few words on safety. - Demonstration & Supervised Practice: Basic forging technique, hammer and anvil work, how we shape steel on the anvil, correct work posture, heat & fire management at the forge. - Discussion: The nature of steel. - Demonstration & Supervised Practice: Under heating, over heating, normalizing, quenching.
- Discussion: Forging a knife blade from round stock, practical design considerations, blade geometry, minimal section size, etc.
- Demonstration & Supervised Practice: Forging a Sloyd knife blade from round stock: from beginning to quench.
- Discussion: Heat treating carbon steel explained.
- Discussion: Grinding, Sharpening & Polishing the blade - Demonstration & Supervised Practice: Grinding Sharpening and polishing the blade to completion.
- Demonstration & Supervised Practice: Mounting a blade to a handle
- Demonstration & Supervised Practice: Hand stitching a leather sheath
A bit about us:
Tslil & Inesse have been forging fine custom cutlery and edged tools together for over two decades now. They are co-founders of the TC Blades forge, home of Jerboa carving tools in the South of Israel a traditional tool forge specializing in kitchen cutlery & other sharp edged tools. Inesse was born in the former Soviet Union and has mastered a range of skills, including fashion design, leather working and ceramics. She has a Masters of Science in Industrial Metallurgic Automation Engineer. Tslil was born in Chicago and holds a BA in Philosphy and Art, currently studying for his MA in Anthropology and Prehistory. He is a former CEO of two research and development companies, and co-founder of Radical Design Group, and the Earth Wind & Fire pottery
The 2-day workshop run from 10am to 4pm on both course dates. Ticket price includes camping on site.
- 2-day workshop ticket£200£2000£0